Translate

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Looking Like My Dad

Certain physical characteristics run true on the paternal side of my family, like ape-ishly long arms. In fact, the last few times I've seen my extended relatives, my Uncle L--- has administered the following test. I must:
  1. Put my right hand over my right shoulder, behind my back.
  2. Put my left hand behind my back (but not over my left shoulder -- the hand has to go from the bottom of my back upwards).
  3. In this position, I must grasp the fingers of each hand with the fingers of the other hand.
When I easily smoke this test, he always congratulates me saying, "Yeah, you're definitely one of us!" [BTW, for some reason, this test never fails to make me think of the scene from Todd Browning's 1932 movie Freaks when the circus sideshows start chanting "Gooble gobble! We accept her! One of us!" However, that's probably a story for a therapist and not for this blog. ;-) hee hee ]

Image from one of my favorite scenes from Freaks
http://youtu.be/44c0MFLYS9M

There are other classic features, too. For example, my family had returned to the States after spending a number of years abroad. Before heading over to my grandpa's place, we thought to grab a quick dinner at a truck stop/diner not too far from the farm my dad grew up on.

An elderly gent approached my dad, asking, "Are you related to G----?" When my father replied in the affirmative, the older man said, "I could tell by your ears. You've got his ears alright... So how are you related?"

This story tickles me. I like how this man who had never met my father before could pick out which family he belonged to just by his ears.

Now I'm still really rough around the edges, but someday, I think I would like people to be able to do that with me. I'd like to have spiritual characteristics that run true so that folks who've never met me before can just look at my actions, my words, my heart and pick out my Heavenly Father the same way.

...let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:16
 Happy Father's Day!




0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...